Friday, April 2, 2010

Gaming Table


The first project that I'm going to talk about is one of my newest. I've been thinking about building a table to use at home for the last few years. When I saw the pictures of the Sultan gaming table from GenCon a couple of years ago, I knew I wanted something along those lines. Only problem about that was that I didn't have the cash to have something so top end. After a couple of discussions with my dad and scratching out a basic design that I wanted to work from I set to creating the table in Sketch-up.

Using this to give me a basic sense of the proportions I wanted, I then made up a list of parts and dimensions of lumber. This proved a lot easier on paper then it did when I went to the local home improvement store to price out the lumber. After discussing the types and dimensions of lumber involved my dad and I narrowed down the plans and I purchased the lumber.



I wish I could say that I took a whole bunch of pictures of the table while it was being built in the various stages of the wide open workshop we built it in. Unfortunately none of that would be the case. We built it in the tail end of winter, in a garage that isn't heated, and since it was a garage during the winter it had all the things for summer stuffed inside it. But needless to say after much after the fact cleaning and straightening and moving about the table was built.


Now I wait for the warmer weather to varnish and finish the top and paint the under side. When that gets underway be sure I will have pictures with my new camera and documenting the process. Until the next project...

1 comment: