Monday, July 8, 2013

More Discussion on Pen and Paper Gaming

In addition to the two games I talked about last week, I've also been enamored with Fate Core.  Since I just got my hardback copy of the book I've slowly been reading back through the rules to remind myself how it plays.  Since I was in on the kickstarter they've been putting out various versions of the rules, getting feedback, fixing things, putting out another draft, more testing and feedback and finally releasing the final product.  Since a couple of things changed through the various versions I've read I'm getting acquainted with the final version of everything and how to plan out a game I'd like to run.

One of the awesome things about Fate Core is that it can cover a huge spectrum of game types and settings. The number of dials in the rules that you can tweak to make your game more or less like one thing and bring it to where you want them to be is enormous.  One of the hard things about such a setting is the number of dials that you can adjust.  The Fate Core G+ community is a fantastic resource especially for this issue.  Reading through the posts from people having the same mind block on the enormity that you can cover and not knowing where to start lets me realize I wasn't alone in my thoughts.  Thankfully the groups is very helpful in trying to help figure out where you want your game to go and how you want it to get there.

In addition to building up your own setting, there were a number of settings that the kickstarter put into motion.  They will be coming out later this year in a couple of compendium books.  Two of the settings that I am really interested in are Wild Blue and Camelot TRIGGER.  Wild Blue is set on another world where settlers have moved to another new continent and settled it.  It has an american western feel, but the land is much different.  There are trees that get lighter as they age which they then float into the sky.  There is the metal cobalt which lends is properties to the weapons and structures of the setting.  Also each of the PC's will have some kind of power. All powers do have a drawback though.  You might be able to fly, but only in sunlight.  Or you can tell if someone is telling the truth but you can never speak a lie.  They might not even be related. You can shoot force bolts from your hand but you can't eat solid food.  Your group will play as Wardens of the Queen protecting the lands from pirates, the Others and all manner of banditry.  I am greatly looking forward to this setting.  Camelot TRIGGER is a giant mecha setting with King Arthur and the Knights of the Round.  It takes place in the Sol System with each planet having knights and politics of its own. Players will mostly likely be knights of various stripes with the big bad of the setting being MerGN-A the AI that is trying to destroy all of humanity. I'm a fan of what I've read on the setting so far and giant mecha has a special place in my heart.

So in other news, I have a question for anyone reading this blog.  I have thoughts on starting a gaming podcast and I would like to know what people would be most interested in listening to.  Ideas that I've been kicking around include; Actual play of various games and one shots, Discussion of various rules sets, Discussion on various settings, Some kind of review where it would be on initial reading of the rules and then after a playthrough.  If anyone has any other ideas or suggestions I would love to hear about it, either on this blog in the comments or on G+.

No comments:

Post a Comment